On April 28, 2017, MCCRC obtained data files about Maryland SWAT team deployments between 2010 and 2014 from the Governor’s Office on Crime Control and Prevention (GOCCP). We provide access to the data files obtained from GOCCP below, as well as to relevant documentation and posts and articles on Maryland SWAT team deployments.
Data files and documentation
- Fiscal Year 2010 Maryland SWAT data file (Excel)
- FY 2011 Maryland SWAT data file (Excel)
- FY 2012 Maryland SWAT data file (Excel)
- FY 2013 Maryland SWAT data file (Excel)
- FY 2014 Maryland SWAT data file (Excel)
- SWAT reporting format (Excel)
- Muckrock.com MPIA data file request
- Copy of email from Ryan White (GOCCP Communications Manager), to Thomas Nephew with 2010-2014 files attached; the email can be forwarded on request.
We have also produced our own charts and analyses of the data. We used a SAS program to combine and clean data from the five years into a single, standardized file, and then tabulate those data to new Excel format summary tables used to prepare the charts. “Cleaning” steps involved things like assigning a standard, correctly spelled agency name across all years as needed, correcting misspellings (e.g., Queen Anne’s County, not Queen Anne or Annes) standardizing subtle variations in coding, and the like.
Blog posts on SWAT team deployment