A word from BORDC on the PATRIOT Act:
Ten years after passing the USA PATRIOT Act, Congress is again debating this enormous expansion of government power. With three provisions set to expire at the end of this month, and Tuesday’s revolt in the House against fast-track reauthorization, there has never been a better time to insist that Congress restore constitutional rights.
A law so extensive that many members of Congress admitted to having never read it, the USA PATRIOT Act has been in place for too long—and there has been too little debate on its dramatic expansion of executive power—to allow a reauthorization without debate.
Millions of Americans from across the country—and the political spectrum—have already raised their voices calling for limitations on PATRIOT powers. Although he now supports extending the PATRIOT Act, President Obama himself joined this chorus of opposition during his presidential campaign.
Several reauthorization bills have been introduced in both the House and the Senate, but none of them would put meaningful limits on any of the PATRIOT Act powers that have been repeatedly abused.
Thank you for helping defend our nation’s most fundamental values.
More you can do, via Get FISA Right:
- use POPVOX to ask your representative know to oppose HR514 and reintroduce the JUSTICE Act
- contact your legislators via email via Demand Progress, ACLU, EFF, or Downsize DC
- or call your representative at (202) 224-3121
Then help get the word out!
- email this info to people
- share it on Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter
- leave a comment on any blog posts, articles, Facebook groups, and message board threads discussing the PATRIOT Act and make sure to include the link to the POPVOX page: http://bit.ly/oppose514
- and if you’re on Twitter, tweet early and often using #patriotact hashtag — some suggested tweets in the first comment
Get FISA Right will be having a chat during the vote on Monday — watch our blog at http://getfisaright.wordpress.com/ for updates.