What: Stop Watching Us: A Rally Against Mass Surveillance
When: Sat., Oct. 26, 12–3 p.m.
Where: Capitol Reflecting Pool, Washington, D.C. (march from Columbus Circle, Union Station)
Who: You and thousands of others fighting to restore our privacy
On October 26, 2001, just under twelve years ago, a panicked Congress passed an ill-advised, hastily considered “USA PATRIOT” Act by lopsided margins — 357-66 in the House, 98-1 in the Senate. As its many opponents outside the Capitol Building warned, the “PATRIOT” Act was anything but: it became a Congressional blank check to surveill and harass all too many Americans, and undermine the very freedoms we claim to value.
Twelve years later, the tide is turning — thanks to whistleblowers like Edward Snowden, Thomas Tamm, Thomas Drake, and journalists like Glenn Greenwald. Yes, the revelations of NSA’s dragnet surveillance, deception of Congress, and what amounts to sabotage of the Internet and its standards are sobering even to those who’ve followed the story for years. But the broad public and even congressional revulsion at NSA behavior signal the secret agency’s long, wild, unconstitutional ride is over.
The momentum is on our side — and *this* October 26th, twelve years after the “PATRIOT” Act, we urgently ask for and need your help to convert that into a victory for the freedoms all Americans treasure — freedom from unwarranted search and seizure, freedom of speech, expectation of due process:
- Pledge to join the rally on October 26th
- Pledge to join “Lobby Day” on Friday the 25th
Give generously to the “Stop Watching Us” rally organization (and get cool stuff!)
- Volunteer — and/or email us at email@example.com. We’ll need crowd monitors, places for out-of-town rally-goers to stay, people to distribute flyers…
- Add your name to those of over half a million other dragnet surveillance opponents; the list will be presented to Congress on the 26th.
- Spread the word: use the “Share this” button at the bottom of this post to share this post on Facebook, Twitter, Google, Reddit, or by email.
- Connect to MCCRC or other groups: subscribe to our mailing list, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter — and expect to hear from us again soon.
Here’s a great video by the “Stop Watching Us” organizers:
Finally, because why not, here’s a fun bit of music by the electro-pop-dance duo YACHT: “Party at the NSA.” Proceeds benefit the great people at Electronic Frontier Foundation.